Friday, August 8, 2008

In Party Plan Selling - How Not to Be Pushy

I was in the market for a new couch and saw one I really liked. The saleswoman came over and told me all the reasons I wanted THIS couch. She went on to tell me why I needed the matching chair. I didn't want the matching chair. I wanted the couch.

She told me how shabby my room would look if I didn't get the end tables, coffee table, and matching lamps. I didn't want them. I wanted the couch.

She assured me I'd be the envy of the neighborhood. All I want is the couch, Lady!

She told me to think about the beautiful new room I'd have and payments would be only -------

I walked out of the store. Instead of selling me the couch I wanted, her pushy style of selling drove me out of the store. Are you getting the drift here?

She wasn't listening to me. She wasn't filling my needs. She was telling me what she wanted me to buy instead of listening to what I wanted and could afford. She had dollar signs in her eyes.

So often I hear consultants say, "But I don't want to appear pushy." So how do we avoid being pushy and still increase our sales, bookings, and recruits? By asking questions and respecting the answers.

At a show I did, a woman purchased a $100 stock item that complemented an expensive set. I pointed out to her that she could get the set by booking a show. She didn't want to have a show and stated, "I don't do these sort of things." So I asked if she thought she'd be purchasing more of these items in the future. She told me if she liked the item she was buying as much as she thought she would, she probably would be calling me. I made sure she had my catalog, business card, and the special flier about those items.

A few weeks later I called to see how she liked her purchase. She loved it. A few weeks after that some of the stock items went on sale. I called and let her know. She ordered those and thanked me for letting her know about the sale. Again I did a customer care call when she got the products and she assured me she'd be calling me to order the rest of the stock items.

A few months later she did call and ordered the rest. She's now purchased well over $300 in products from me. A few weeks later I called again to see if her new items were doing what she wanted and if she had any questions. During that call she said she absolutely loved everything and really wanted the set. She asked if the set ever went on sale. I told her no - because that was the truth - and reminded her that she could get the set for half price if she had a few friends in. "Well, let's do it then!" she replied.

How did that happen? Simple. I listened to her. I respected her "no." I did customer care calls. I let her know when items she liked and wanted went on sale. I wasn't pushing. I was filling her needs. Do you see the difference?

Oh, by the way, I went to a different store and saw the most awesome couch and matching chair. The salesman was so nice and even gave me a discount if I bought both pieces. They look great in my living room. I'm thinking seriously about going back for the lamps I saw there ......

0 comments: