Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Increase Sales by Taking Advantage of Your Thoughts

During the last week, actually the last 5 days, I have been working on site in a different state. This has mandated me going to dinner at unfamiliar restaurants and not knowing anyone. Yet, I have received 4 leads and one of which wants to start some executive coaching upon my return to my office in the Chicago area.

My first opportunity happened when speaking at a local chamber event. Even though the attendance was under 20 small business owners, I had exceeded the expectations of at least one of them because he wanted to talk more with me.

The second incredible opportunity happened at a local bar and grill. My colleague and I were enjoying some adult beverages along with two delicious dinners when a gentleman sat down next to me as the bar was fairly crowded. Upon sitting down I made a comment about him actually looking old enough given that the previous individual who had occupied the seat had looked so young. This happens when you age, everyone looks way too young.

When he spoke, I noticed an English accent. Being the curious person, I asked where in England he was from. He shared his hometown and we just started talking. Within several minutes, I learned that he was the new operations manager for a large company that my colleague had been trying to meet with without much success. Further conversation revealed some internal challenges and we exchanged cards and I will follow up. Sales Coaching Tip: Most sales professionals fail to follow-up on leads.

My third opportunity to increase sales happened the next night in the same eating establishment as the food was so incredibly good and reasonably priced. I sat one bar stool away from a woman. Something came on the news and she made some remark to me and I responded. Again, we started sharing and I learned that her brother had a significant medical practice within the area and he was facing some human capital and organizational challenges. Securing a large size health care provider was one of my desired prospects.

During the next day during a training and development session (my reason for being in the area), one of the participants came up to me after the training was over and asked if she could speak with me. Over our lunches, she shared that she was looking for an executive coach. We scheduled a free strategy session to better understand each other and if I could truly help her. Sales Coaching Tip: When you are authentic, you will attract potential clients. You do not need to sell yourself or your products and services.

Who would think in a city over 1,500 miles away from where I live, not knowing anyone, that I would find 3 fairly solid leads and one individual who had expressed a bona fide need for executive coaching? Life truly is just opportunity after opportunity waiting for you to unlock them. All you must do is to have those genuine positive thoughts that are aligned to your goals, your sales skills and your sales action plan.

What I believe has created all of these opportunities are my thoughts of wanting to secure at least 5 more clients within this area during the next 3 months. Tonight I am off to meet with another colleague who had provided me with several leads of which two I have appointments before I leave town. With all of these opportunities, I cannot wait to meet with her. As my executive coach tells me: "Life is great!"

0 comments: