Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mayor gives property tax increase 50/50 chance

lionelrivera11

Mayor Lionel Rivera was cautiously optimistic yesterday when asked whether he thought Colorado Springs voters would approve measure 2C, a property tax increase on the Nov. 3 ballot.

Rivera said “most of the people” he talks to support 2C.

They believe the city government is underfunded and “imbalanced because of the reliance on sales tax, and the request for a moderate increase in the mill levy is responsible, and it’s something that they can afford,” he said.

“I’m going to support it, and it’s going to impact my pocketbook, but I can’t judge the entire community by the people I run into on a day-to-day basis,” he said.

“If I just judge it based on the people I talk to, I’d say, ‘Hey, it’s going to win 75 (percent) to 25 (percent.)’ But I know that’s not realistic. I know there’s plenty of people (among the city’s) 400,000 citizens that have different views than I do and a different view of the people I run into or associate with on a daily basis, so that’s why I say 50/50,” he said.

http://citydesk.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/21/mayor-gives-property-tax-increase-5050-chance/513/

0 comments: